Miller Family Adventures

"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord"

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

"Chuc Mung Nam Moi!" (Wish you a Happy New Year!)


Wow! So much has happened since our last blog…. Our first Hanoi Christmas… our first annual “Christmas Day Gumbo Gathering!”… our first earthquake (really not our earthquake but we did incur it’s effects) that knocked out inet… our first trips outside of the city… our first Hanoi New Years!... and NEW FURNITURE!
Let’s begin with our trip to an orphanage the week before Christmas. Our family along with about 8 other people delivered Christmas Shoeboxes to about 40 children in an orphanage about 2 hours outside of Hanoi. I have to say it made our Christmas! In the past we have participated in “Operation Christmas Child” but this year we had the privilege to actually hand the shoeboxes to the children (actually Josh / Daniel did). We also put on a skit that portrayed the true meaning of Christmas! As I took pics my eyes were filled with tears of joy and gratitude that our family was able to be a part of this experience.


Christmas in Hanoi was not what we had expected. Actually, we didn’t know what to expect. Would we see a cyclo pulled by 8 tiny “nguoi Viet or 8 very big chuots (rats)?” Would all of the lights be “red?” Oh… and what kind of music would be have to tolerate? To our surprise signs of Christmas were everywhere and signs actually said “Christmas” and not happy holidays! Christmas lights were abundant and the music was the good “stuff” with the real words! It’s amazing how many times we heard the real message of Christmas via music. One day I was retrieving email in a local coffee shop and for about 2 hours I heard nothing but Christmas music and then “Amazing Grace.” Yes, this all happened in communist Hanoi, Vietnam.


As many of you know, for about 10 years now our family has had “gumbo” on Christmas Eve with many of our friends. This year we broke tradition and had “gumbo” on Christmas Day. We invited our Viet teachers and a few friends. We were not very optimistic about who if any of those we invited would show up. To our surprise, all but one person showed up. We had about 12 people, nine of which were nguoi Viet. We were so excited. An added blessing, three of our nguoi Viet friends brought gifts to the boys. Oh… the “gumbo” was a big HIT!



Many of you are probably not aware, but just after Christmas there was an earthquake off the island of Taiwan. We would not have been aware either except that it damaged the trans Pacific communications cable which in turn affected our ability to communicate via inet. For the most part it has been restored but we are still having difficulties. Just one of those things!

After Christmas, we went to Hoa Binh province which is about 60 km south of Hanoi with another family. It was… interesting but beautiful. We also traveled to a nguoi Thai village. The nguoi Thai live in stilt houses and weave beautiful fabrics. We returned in time to celebrate the New Year (Nam moi) with some of our friends from Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon). Two days later we received our new furniture. This furniture actually has padding!

We are including a number of pics for your enjoyment!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Regan - It was great to get your e-mail newsletter and your blog address. I pray for you guys weekly and will keep up with things via the blog. Will share all this with our small group. The Lord bless you and keep you. Robby

10:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God Bless you Millers
Great to hear your newyear started well when the net went down some feared otherwise.

Keep us posted

RB<><

5:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You guys are always in my prayers, what a joy to be able to share in your journey ! Star C

8:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad you're back online. Kept checking everyday for news of your Christmas. Pics are great. Everyone looks happy and well. Glad you found new friends to share gumbo with.
Miss you all!!

Carol Landry

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forgot to tell you how envious I am that you got to deliver Operation Christmas Child boxes. I have wanted to do that ever since I started packing boxes. What a blessing that must have been.
Carol Landry

8:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello! Went back to the beginning to read and enjoy all the pics. Miss you all so much and speak of you everyday and night. The boys are growing so much. Good to speak with you at Christmas. Blessings in the new year!
Love you all very much Sin

3:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I looked at all the entries so far. It looks like the kids are fittng in nicely. That is so awesome! They look happy. What an experience for them. Our dad has showered his grace on them and I ask our dad to continue. Sorry I havent' spoken to you since you left. Please forgive me. Love you and miss you. I miss mostly Robin's smile and hand held high during songs with joy spilling over. It spreads like fire. I miss the h.spirit pouring out of Regan's heart and mouth to his sisters and brothers.

4:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Cuz,
I think it is GREAT what you & your family are doing, keep up the great sprit. You really look good for & OLD man like you! HaHa!! I turned 50 today & I am so thankful & blessed.Slow down your catching up with me! We are putting together a cookbook @ForestHill BapCh & I think you are in touch with Alma, & she is over it, I have given your Mom the e-mail address to & how to enter them it would be so nice to have some from where you are & I am trying to get all the cuzins & family to submit some. So it will be extra special. Maybe Robin or yourself will submit some for us:under your name's be sure to list who you are Nephew of D&D Roberson so all will know. Hope you can do this.Thanks for sharing your life.Bless you all Love ya Dianna
(CUZ)5-16-08

11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home